Saturday, September 25, 2010

Another innovation.

 Not exactly at home... but I have an update from a while ago that I ought to post.

Inspired by the Ocarina Club's baffle idea, I set out to experiment with the interior shapes of my ocarinas

For those who don't know, baffles are walls built inside an ocarina to redirect the flow of air in a controlled fashion.
As I concentrate on really strong, bold low notes, that means my high notes can sometimes be a little difficult to play without practice - and experimenting with baffles is a way to get around this.

I don't like to sound pretentious or like a know-it-all... but honestly, I feel that this technique is wasted. It's being used on 10-holes and 12-holes - both of which could already achieve their ranges with careful voicing design... I want to do something no other maker has done yet.

Eventually, after a few experiments, I have come up with my own baffle design - a rather sophisticated one which utilizes multiple baffles of varying sizes and shapes to maximize the acoustics of my ocarinas - and using this, I have created an ocarina with extended range, which plays up to low G to high F without issue or tonal degradation. Upon further experimentation, I have no doubt that I can also make a two-octave single-chamber Alto C.

Three methods for this includes a double thumb-hole, cross-fingered final holes, or a keyed hole. Double thumb-holes can be uncomfortable to fluidly slide, however, and having cross-fingered final holes is something I prefer not to do unless necessary, so I feel I should look into finding keys...

Every time I sit down and think of this, I keep coming up with new ideas - I am certain that before long I will have this down.

The potential and the theory is here - I just need the resources.


Until then, everybody, here's the first innovative use of an advanced baffle system.

 
My next firing is very soon. I look forward to showing you all the finished results.

All the best.

1 comment:

  1. are you will to divulge the design of your baffle?
    because i am baffled by baffles.

    from what i have read the most likely baffle to succeed is to place walls on the sides of the voicing. is this what you did?

    or did you use more of the "snowman"/"ring baffle" design?

    or did you use some design as of yet unmentioned.
    i have an unquenchable thirst for this knowledge

    ReplyDelete