Thursday, September 16, 2010

Baffles, anyone?

So, I've been looking around on Ocarinaclub and I decided that I really want to experiment with baffles.

For those who don't know, baffles are walls build inside an ocarina (normally around the voicing) to isolate the voicing from the fingering holes - which generates stronger acoustic energy, which could mean stronger, non-airy high notes! I concentrate on really strong, bold low notes, which means my high notes can sometimes be a little difficult to play without practice... maybe if I get this baffle thing down pat, then the ocarina will be perfect?

So! Has anyone played around with these before? I know that at least two makers (Dunster and Spencer) have used them, so there's definitely success stories to be told there. On top of that, many Xuns have been using them for centuries! Unfortunately, I don't know what Dunster's or Spencer's look like, so I'll just have to build one from scratch - though that's how I made my first ocarina, so I really shouldn't complain.

If anyone has any thoughts on baffles or have tried them/wanted to try them before, be sure to give me your thoughts!
I think I'll go run off to make one now, actually...

1 comment:

  1. When you uncover holes on an ocarina you are decreasing the "effective volume" of the ocarina. this causes the vibrating column of air inside the ocarina to occupy less space and i assume vibrate faster. if you add baffles it would allow "sections" of the ocarina to more effectively be removed from the "effective volume" of the ocarina.

    i imagine that baffles are essentially transforming the inside of an ocarina from an open cavern into a tunnel or series of tunnels. this would change some of the tonal properties of the ocarina and possibly make it function more like a straight flute then a vessel flute.

    keep in mind that i have no idea what i'm talking about

    -Ace Cassidy

    ReplyDelete