Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pay no attention. I'm rambling.

Oh man oh man oh man have I got a brilliant idea!

Gonna write this down so I don't forget it.

Now, before I go on, I ought to explain what DymondWood is for those who don't know.
DymondWood is a wood/plastic composite, where various layers of wood are impregnated with resin before being layered and compressed together until it's about half its original thickness under intense pressure and heat! The resulting compound has the look and feel of natural hardwood, but is very, very strong, and is resistant to water, shrinkage, expansion and mold. All in all, it sounds like a super-wood to me - though I'll be doing some research into this myself to make sure it's all it's cracked up to be. :)

There's a particular type of DymondWood I'm thinking about with this design - called Charcoal Silvertone.
Google images only turned up images of bows, so I guess it's popular for that. Anyway, take a look at this wood!





Now, isn't that just one of the most beautiful things you've seen? That color is just so subtle and classy! Off-gray, with that beautiful, even grain. An ocarina made from this would be epic to say the least.

I want to make a triple ocarina out of this stuff, and then inlay Paua shells around the fingering holes, rimming (or outlining) them similarly to how Sincere Ocarinas rims their fingering holes with gold lustre. Picture to come on that soon.

This is a Paua shell, by the way!

Cute, isn't it?

Now, why the heck do I want to inlay a a shell like that around the fingering holes and in my subhole grooves?
They aren't particularly beautiful, aren't they...?

Maybe not like this - but get a load of how they look when you polish them.

...

Yeah, I thought so too.

This is going to be one of my prized personal ocarinas when I get around to making it! I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this and imagined playing a single chambered, two octave alto C made from this Charcoal Silvertone DymondWood, with fingering holes lined with Paua shells and a Böhm key for high G (with Italian fingering, of course)...

    *faints*

    ReplyDelete