Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Prices?

I've had this question a few times from people, so I am giving a list of pricing details which I am currently working with. Currently, custom orders are closed, so this price list should give people something to think about until then.

12-hole ocarina in the key of Alto C


Straw-fired instrument - $100
This is a basic ocarina which comes without undercut holes, meaning that they can be a bit large at the higher end of the scale.


Undercut - + $20
Undercutting is the process of making holes in a manner which makes them smaller. Undercuts are especially good for small hands which may have difficulty covering the holes. All of my personal ocarinas are undercut, which I - despite my larger fingers - prefer both aesthetically and in practice. I feel it makes a large difference to the comfort and playability of an ocarina.


Split holes - + $5 per hole (specify holes to be split)
When a fingering hole is split into two holes for aesthetic and practical reasons. This allows for the player to more conveniently half-hole rather than to memorize and utilize accidentals - those who utilize accidentals without concern, such as myself, may still prefer some fingering holes to be split for the touch of sophistication it lends, aesthetically.


Ovular holes - + $5 per hole (specify holes to be elongated)
Those with thinner fingers or a unique sense of style may opt for a more elongated hole, extending it in the same direction as your fingers and therefore making the hole thinner and easier to cover. Only a short extension can go a long way in thinning a fingering hole.


Subhole positioning
I much prefer the visuals and practicality of single-handed subholes, played using the right index and middle finger. Those who do not feel the same way can request another common subhole placement where the left and right middle fingers are each used to play a subhole. I offer this free of charge.


Occasionally I would put up an ocarina with a price-tag that may be higher or lower than that of my regular price - for instance, the ocarina which I had placed for sale earlier went for $130 despite not being undercut. This is due to special differences in each ocarina - as an example, the last one had a very special tonal quality I loved and admittedly I was not too keen on parting with it (though I'm now glad it's going to an ocarina-loving person who will hopefully give it a better home and use it to its fullest potential).

Thank you for reading, and for those interested in my instruments; have a think about this price list for the time being. I will be opening commissions in due time.


All the best,

Panch

No comments:

Post a Comment